<$BlogMetaData?$>

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Feed Me, Seymour

Bubs wanted me to participate in this silly thing, which I don't particularly know I have a whole lot to contribute, since the local cuisine isn't anything earth-shatteringly special, but there are several old standbys that I know we'll be haunting until they close their doors.

1. Add a direct link to your post below the name of the person who tagged you.

Include the city/state and country you’re in.

Nicole (Sydney, Australia)
velverse (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
LB (San Giovanni in Marignano, Italy)
Selba (Jakarta, Indonesia)
Olivia (London, England)
ML (Utah, United States)
Lotus (Toronto, Canada)
tanabata (Saitama, Japan)
Andi (Dallas [ish], Texas, United States)
Lulu (Chicago, Illinois, United States)
Chris (Boyne City, Michigan, United States)
AB (Cave Creek, Arizona, United States)
Johnny Yen (Chicago, Illinois, United States)
Bubs (Mt Prospect, Illinois, United States)
Mob (Midland, Texas United States)

2. List out your top 5 favorite places to eat at your location.

3. Tag 5 other people (preferably from other countries/states) and let them know they’ve been tagged.


1. I have to open with my own personal favorite resaurant, Thai House, which is in a small location, which gets pretty hectic around lunch time. They were recently blurbed in Texas Monthly, in their dining section. Regardless of what they mention in their acticle, I prefer the order of spring rolls for an appetizer, and the Pad Thai can't be beat.

2. The wife has turned me on to several places downtown, including one near her office, Luigi's, which has been a local staple for as long as I can remember. It's one of the few places locally that's been here forever that's not a steakhouse or a Mexican food place, and has the lived in, scratched up ambience that is only found in a locally owned place, complete with taper candles burning in chianti bottles on the tables during the evening, and a reliable source of Italian food that's not part of a chain. I can only do so much Olive Garden, y'know.

3. Talking of Mexican food, Dona Anita's is a little place across the tracks that serves a nice authentic Mexican meal, and their queso is simply outstanding. I'm not sure of the secret ingredient, though we theorize that it could be a beef broth added at some crucial point in the mixing, but I'd step on a nun's neck to get to a bowl of it. If I recall my conversation with the woman who owns the place, the restaurant was named after one of her husband's relatives (his mother, perhaps? I honestly can't remember), who is now no longer related to the owner after a divorce, but the name has stuck. The restaurant is even name-checked in this Washington Post article about about everyone's favorite Midlander George Dubya, so how's that for an endorsement? I mean, personally, I couldn't give a fuck less where the guy ate when he lived here, but maybe someone cares, right?

4. I have to mention another of the wife's favs downtown that she's sold me on, Wall Street Bar And Grill, which serves a great New York Strip, and sports the big draw of being a great brunch spot on Sunday mornings. Being located amidst the construction that's been going on downtown hasn't deterred the clientele, and the charming decor of the 90-something yr old building makes it an interesting place to visit.

5. For the typical Texas dining experience of a large steak and salad bar, Cattleman's Steakhouse is your best bet. I can honestly say that I have only ate here twice, having been introduced to the place when my buddy Buckaroo Banzai and his wife Pookie were last in town, but the food really blew me away, and I look forward to being free of these damned braces (in a few years) and being able to properly enjoy their cuisine without worrying about getting it completely caught up in my teeth.

Funny Mob factoid: My father had a small business working on restaurant equipment, and I'd been in the kitchens of two of the restaurants listed working on refrigeration equipment with him when I was in my 'tween years way back in the day, yet never patronized any of these places until years later, so I'm glad to know that Dona Anita's and Cattleman's are still hanging around.

I'm supposed to tag five people who preferrably aren't locals, so here goes:

Yas in Arizona (because you've had so much free time lately with the new job ;p),

Al in Liverpool (if you're up for it),

Ultra in Bristol (though I don't know if he'll be interested),

Kaufman in Adelaide (who may or may not have the time or inclination to play),

and Ellen Aim out in the Dallas area who always has a food related post waiting in the wings and may be able to turn me on to a place I can eat at in a month or so.

Christ, I feel fat after rattling off all the information about everywhere I love to stuff my face, now it's your turn.

Be seeing you.

Tag, you're it, Baggy Eyes! , , ,

Labels: , , , ,

20 comments:

Blogger Bubs said...

Seems like nearly everyone has a favorite Thai place. Remember back when Thai food seemed so new and exotic?

I promise not to hit you with any more tags for a while, and I appreciate your being a good sport about it. I like your sense of humor, and your entertainment sensibility seems to overlap nicely with ours, and you live in TEXAS FER CHRISSAKE, so I wanted your input. Well done.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 11:38:00 PM  
Blogger Mob said...

Yeah, it's actually odd, we support two specifically Thai places here locally, as well as at least five Chinese places of varying quality.

We had an Indian place that popped up about 7 years ago that lasted all of 6 months before closing, I don't know what the problem was, it just wasn't the right time, I suppose.

No worries about the tags, I'm just always concerned I'll have nothing to really add to things, glad it came across well.

I was quite amused to find the Washington Post article that mentions a relatively small local restaurant by name.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 11:45:00 PM  
Blogger Nicole Tan said...

I personally thought you did a great job describing the places because is making me really hungry now!!!I have this sudden craving for huge chunks of steaks now!!!

Ps thanks for doing the tag. If you know of anyone else doing it please feel free to send me a message and I’ll update them too on the updated list of tag doers

Thursday, May 10, 2007 1:07:00 AM  
Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Howdy!

I will list my top 5 here, if that's okay. I already have about 3 or 4 posts in the cannon waiting to be fired. Okay, now bear in mind I don't do a great deal of eating out...

1: Glasnost - A cosy little restaurant in the Totterdown are nestled amongst the terraced houses of the backstreets. Achingly trendy, it serves all manner of culinary delights. I had Salmon with sweet chili sauce. Outside Tasmania, it is the finest fish I have tasted.

2: Wagamama's - perrenially popular asian fusion restaurant chain. I always enjoy number 71 (Chicken Katsu) - recommended to me by Monkey.

3: The Firehouse Rotisserie: Part of Bristol city centre's rejuvenated harbour project. All high ceilings and cast-iron chandeliers, they serve fantastic BBQ chicken and a mean rack o'lamb.

4: The Porto Lounge: Small cafe/bar round the corner from home. An oasis in the cultural desert that is fishponds. Nice gourmet food.

5: Credo Sandwich Bar. Laid out like a working kitchen. Where I go for lunch if I can afford posh sandwiches

Thursday, May 10, 2007 3:20:00 AM  
Blogger Al said...

Hey Mob, no problem!

I will add to and post my thoughts tonight or tomorrow.

Al :)

Thursday, May 10, 2007 5:41:00 AM  
Anonymous velverse said...

Wooo... lots of juicy steak. I am quite interested in trying Dona Anita's. Sounds like a nice place for good food.

Luigi's sounds very familiar.. However I can't recall why is it familiar. I think one of the blogmates did mention about this place. Hehe.. Guess I must look in to this place :)

Thanks for the tip and doing the tag. Lovely~

Thursday, May 10, 2007 5:42:00 AM  
Blogger Blancodeviosa said...

oh dude, i haven't been to the thai place in ages...

Welp see you tonight!!!

Thursday, May 10, 2007 7:58:00 AM  
Blogger Mob said...

Nicole: Thanks for stopping by! Glad you liked the results, and if anyone I know does this one, I'll shoot ya an e-mail.

Ultra: Thanks for playing sir, this way people get two lists for their admission, right?

The Rotisserie sounds interesting, I don't think I've ever had lamb that I can recall...

Al: That's great sir, thanks for playing!

Velverse: Thanks for dropping by! Both restaurants are small little places, but the food is always wonderful, and the staff tends to know most people by sight if not name, it's quite charming.

Blanco: I force your husband to go there every other time he's over, so don't ask him to take you or it'll probably start an arguement.

;P

Thursday, May 10, 2007 11:26:00 AM  
Blogger Johnny Yen said...

I envy one thing about where you live-- good Texas brisket. It's hard to find in Chicago.

When you mentioned the one named after someone no longer in the family, it reminded me of my friend Larry. I worked for him at his restaurant, originally called "Nida's Smokehouse" after his girlfriend. Their relationship was tumultuous (including her having him arrested on a false report of domestic violence), and when he moved the restaurant down the street, he renamed it the N.N. Smokehouse. He joked that it meant "Not Nida's."

They married-- and then divorced, and the place closed eventually.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 11:41:00 AM  
Blogger Mob said...

If I'm remembering correctly, it is indeed named after the owner's former mother in law, who hated her from whatshe said, so it's quite ironic that her livelihood comes from something named after this woman she never got along with.

That's the tricky part about this area, finding something that's not Mexican, burgers, or steak, it's probably why I latched onto the Thai food for dear life.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 1:17:00 PM  
Blogger Blancodeviosa said...

ahahaha... indeed

Thursday, May 10, 2007 2:16:00 PM  
Blogger Scottsdale Girl said...

OK you never fail to type at least ONE LINE to make me laugh. Today it was " but I'd step on a nun's neck to get to a bowl of it."

I feel that way about the Posole they serve at THE SHED in Santa Fe

Thursday, May 10, 2007 4:10:00 PM  
Blogger Ellen Aim said...

I will so do that. It's actually a little hard...I have my favorites here but nothing I'd miss if I moved. Not like my faves in Tokyo. I'll put some thought into it...we're trying somewhere new tomorrow (the brother-in-law is coming) so maybe I can add it...I hear they have bitchin' margaritas...

The Melting Pot and Gloria's will be on there...ok, this won't be too hard, I guess.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 10:01:00 PM  
Blogger Mob said...

Blanco: I ruin everything for everyone.

Scottsdale: I wish all those poor nuns my best, but they should know better than to stand between me and good food.

I've never been to The Shed, as we've only been to Sante Fe one time, though we should go back, as it's where I proposed.

We did eat at a great place called The Compound, that was a wonderful meal.

Ellen: Thanks for playing, I know you have pretty definite feelings when it comes to food.

Don't get too plastered in front of the in-laws.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 11:10:00 PM  
Blogger Kaufman said...

Just got yer message. I have the bare minimum time to write the following: Will bookmark post. Stop. Will read post. Stop. Have ultra inclination to respond to post. Stop. Will write response to post. Stop. When will I have time? Stop. Will have to get back to you with an answer for that. Stop. PS. Stop. Thanks for including me in the game of tag. Stop.

Sunday, May 13, 2007 8:14:00 PM  
Blogger Mob said...

Message received, stop. Excited to hear of your future involvement, stop. Post away at your convenience, stop.

Thanks for being a sport, stop.

Monday, May 14, 2007 10:30:00 AM  
Blogger Kaufman said...

Oh, stop it, you!

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 5:52:00 PM  
Blogger Mob said...

Hee hee...

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 8:37:00 PM  
Blogger SeaBird said...

We visit Midland a couple of times a year to visit family, but I've never heard of the Thai place - where is it?

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 12:43:00 PM  
Blogger Mob said...

It's behind the Walgreen's on Andrews Hwy in the same little strip as Gold's Gym.

Great food, well worth your time.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 2:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home