<$BlogMetaData?$>

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Napa Day Two

There was a hot air balloon ride scheduled for the crack of dawn this morning, but we went to bed knowing there was a danger of it being canceled with the weather threatening to be rainy for the next few days. Thus, we were supposed to get a call at 5:00 (in the Christing morning!) to tell us if it was canceled or not.

Imagine my surprise when I woke to use the bathroom at almost 9:00 and found the wife sleeping contentedly beside me, unperturbed. Guessing she'd spoke to the front desk folks without waking me, I just hopped back in bed and slept until nearly 11:00 before finally getting up and moving.

I started fire in the living room fireplace and poked around on the iPad for a bit before the wife finally got up and moving, shocked at how late she'd slept.

We made contact with the In-laws only to find out that they had apparently been the ones who got the call at the crack of dawn canceling that balloon ride that I mentioned awhile back. We made plans to meet them for lunch, then dressed and headed over to their room.

We walked up the path the short distance to the Grill in the on-again, off-again showers and took seats at their bar, as the place was already booked up for their lunch seating. This worked out well, as we enjoyed appetizers and some really great fish tacos and burgers over a couple Bloody Marys and visited a bit with the staff, who have proved to be really friendly and helpful across the board.

After the meal we headed back to the rooms to drop off the In-Laws, then the wife and I picked up the provided umbrellas from ours and headed back out into the light drizzle to walk down the hill to the spa, which is located closer to the front of the property and the little entrance that has a guard watching it 24/7.

We were given robes and told where to get ready, then killed a bit of time on a nearby balcony sitting area where I helped myself to a cup of coffee.  Then I sat down on a chair that almost put my ass on the floor because it was so ridiculously low, spilling coffee all over my hand and the hem of the stupid robe. FML.
The masseuses turned up shortly and we were led to our various rooms. I assured the masseuse that I'd spilled coffee, not gotten excitement diarrhea on the garment, she assured me that she could get me a fresh one, so no big deal in the grand scheme of things, aside from the slight annoyance.  Oh, and for what it's worth I never mentioned diarrhea, as it's been my experience that people tend to tune out after you bring it up, even if you're trying to be funny.

The massage itself was great, a really relaxing 90 minutes, then I showered off the various leftover oils in the locker area and started getting dressed, which was about when the fire alarm started going off throughout the building. Since no one ran through screaming I had to assume that it was simply a malfunction, though if it has been 15 minutes earlier and shocked me out of my calm reverie on the table I might well have ended up oily, panicked and wrapped in a sheet in the parking lot.

The wife was also getting a facial after her massage, so I decided to just chill with some more coffee on the little balcony area and got started on the notes for today's blog post while I waited for her.

When the wife got finished we had the receptionist call up a valet to run us back to the room, where we stopped in to say hello to the In-Laws and visit for a few, then we went to our room to get ready for dinner.
We hopped in the suburban and headed 'off-campus' for dinner at Bistro Jeanty, which is about 20 minutes away in Yountville. The drive in the rain was pretty quick, though it was kinda surprising to see how much water had accumulated here and there from the day of steady drizzle.

Maybe They Need A List Of
Visual Aids Behind The Bar?
Dinner was really good, with a primo table near the front of the restaurant that turned out to be great for people-watching. My only personal quibble was that I ordered an Old Fashioned that was served straight up in a martini glass, sans any form of garnish, which was really puzzling considering there's even a damned GLASS specifically called an Old Fashioned glass, which should give even the most rudimentary bartender at least one fucking clue as to how it's served. That aside, the food was really great and everyone enjoyed their meal from start to finish.

We finally headed back to the hotel (Resort? I realized while at the spa today that the place is actually a country club - dunno what to call it anymore, quite frankly), taking a strange detour up through a mountainous residential neighborhood beyond the club after we missed a turn and the Beau seemed resistant to the idea of simply turning around in the middle of the highway.

As it turns out the navigation system isn't all that useful when the 'turn left' instructions refer to the most minor of crooks in the already winding roads, but we finally looped back around to the highway and backtracked to the correct turn-off that put us back on track and made our way 'home'.

We said our goodnights and then we relaxed in the room after I lit up another fire in the fireplace while the wife read up a bit on the basics of wine-tasting, which is our activity for tomorrow morning/afternoon. I ended up watching several re-runs on Adult Swim while finishing up tonight's blog notes and playing around on the iPad with The Simpsons.

I'm out kids.

Be seeing you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home