<$BlogMetaData?$>

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Lunch, Lists, Television, Etc.

I crashed out last night after reading a little further into The Goon Volume 2: My Murderous Childhood and Other Grievous Years, which is a series that I'm finding that I dig quite a bit, if only for the fluidity of Eric Powell's art style, moving from pen and ink line-work to paintings to really moody grey-scale stuff that sets an amazing tone for the book. It's a ton of fun and an easy thing to drift in and out of as time permits.

The Yorkie kinda nudged me awake near 7:00 AM, which would normally agitate the hell out of me, but I just gave her a little belly rub and told her to go back to sleep, then hit the bathroom. When I returned she was back in her little spot at the end of the bed and I was able to get back to sleep. I eventually heard the wife get up and leave for...something, so I nestled back into the pillows and ignored the sunlight creeping in around the edges of the room until close to 10:00, when I finally surfaced and found the Yorkie sleeping beside me near the wife's pillow, which is always a cute thing to wake up to. I find that she does this from time to time if only one of us is in the bed, she'll settle into the missing person's spot as if to keep it warm for them, it's really charming.

We opened the house for the day and fetched the newspaper, then I fired up the PC to see what the world had been up to while I slept.  After a bit of time online I finally finalized plans for lunch with EL and got dressed to make my way out into the blustery day that was sending dirt and leaves flying every which way.

Further Miike.
This is the final week of the 'upgrade and save' thing, so I hit up Best Buy with a final pile of trade-in crap, picking up a handful of stuff, including a blind buy of the latest Takashi Miike film Hara-Kiri: Death Of A Samurai, which I hadn't even heard of until seeing a Facebook acquaintance mention it last week. It's evidently a re-make of a classic Japanese film of the same name, so I may have more viewing to do than I first thought should I decide to track down the original. I met EL at our usual Mexican place, where he explained that DR was tied up with work and wouldn't be joining us, so I had changed our lunch to this afternoon for nothing, which feels typical of things lately. Oh well. We visited and caught up on the past week or so, then went our separate ways.

My original plan was to gas up the car after lunch, but I decided that the damned wind was a little too biting for my tastes to stand around in it for any longer than necessary, so I just headed home to see what the Yorkie was up to, and if the wife was home yet. I found them in the bedroom, so I caught up on her day and then left them to relax while I spent the afternoon on the PC working on the final leg of the nerdlists, which I honest to God finally see an end to after so much time pissed away trying to get them caught up.

When the wife and pup surfaced it was close to 6:00, so we kinda started making evening plans, then the Older Sister dropped by briefly to get the wife's signature on some things, visiting a bit before she headed home.

The wife and I settled into the den after ordering in deli food, catching up on several more television odds and ends, wrapping the night with the two most recent episodes of Justified, which finally feels like it has found its legs as we get further into this new season.

I put the wife and pup to bed around 10:00, then got started on this post, calling it a night around 1:00 in the AM so I could head to bed and read a bit of The Art Of Howard Chaykin before I go to sleep.

Be seeing you.

2 comments:

Blogger El Vox said...

The Goon looks pretty good, I like the art style and the pulpy vibe, but haven't read any of them yet.

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 10:01:00 AM  
Blogger Mob said...

They're definitely worth a peep. My only confusion with them is that they censor out the swear words in spite of the fairly adult nature of the overall book, which I find puzzling.

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 2:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home